Yes, a three day weekend in August.
See it's BC's birthday, it's 150th to be exact hence a day off for all to play. And play we did.
The fun kicked off Saturday late afternoon with a BBQ at a Rich's house. We BBQ'ed steaks and lamb skewers and even had freshly made juice drinks courtesy of the brand new juicer Rich received for his birthday. He even made up names for the drink concoctions including Hazy day of summer which included grapefruit, strawberry, and maybe blueberry.
After eating we headed down to Kits beach to watch the firework finale.


Sunday, I spent a few hours shooting photos of a friend down at the beach. We had a fun time finding different locations and trying different angles to see what would work better. Plus the wind was blowing so many of the photos have the wispy glamor-hair look.
Afterward, I met back up with J and we headed out for a hike in Pacific Spirit regional park. Although we done a few walks through the forest, this time we reached the ocean and watch the tugs pull the lumber down stream.
We then headed over to Drexoll games, a local board game shop that I received a gift certificate to. I knew that I wanted Ticket to Ride, where you build rail connection between destinations. Ever since playing last the game last May with my cousin in Seattle, I've wanted to get it. But there's now three versions of the game and two expansions to the original. So much to choose from. Thankfully the sales clerk helped explain the differences and I settled on the original Ticket to Ride which features the USA and Canada. In the evening our friends, Mark and Michelle headed over to play the new game.
If your looking for a fun family or party game, this is it. No dice, simple to learn and within a few turns you'll be hooked.
Monday was another gorgeous day, reaching at least 75 degrees. We grabbed sandwiches from the deli counter at Safeway and headed down to Kits beach/park with Rich and Joe and a Bocce ball set.
Rich bought along a measuring tape in order to calculate who's ball is actually closer to the point. Which came in hand in those, "Well, from this angle my ball is closer" moments. Rich triumphed both rounds but J came in second - not bad for his first time playing.
We finished the day with another BBQ, freshly squeeze drinks, Ticket to Ride followed by a game of the Settlers of Catan - a fun building and trading game with strategy.
What a wonderful three days! So when's the next holiday?




1 comment:
You play the same board games as me!!!!
I have been a long time fan of settlers and worked hard many times to be the Lord of Catan (or Lady in my case).
Have you played either of the other Catan's? Seafarers or Cities and knights?
Post a Comment