Cypress?

There's a section in Kitsilano where all of the north/south running streets are named after trees. There's Oak, Yew, Maple, Arbutus, Pine, Fir, Blenheim, Larch and many more. But the funny thing is that most of the streets don't have the tree it's named for. For instance the photo above is Cypress. So you see any Cypress trees? Hmm, maybe the two tall green trees on the left.

There's a section in Kitsilano where all of the north/south running streets are named after trees. There's Oak, Yew, Maple, Arbutus, Pine, Fir, Blenheim, Larch and many more. But the funny thing is that most of the streets don't have the tree it's named for. For instance the photo above is Cypress. So you see any Cypress trees? Hmm, maybe the two tall green trees on the left.
Can't think what a Cypress tree looks like ... "The Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) is generally a flame - shaped, tapering, cone-like tree, with but a short stem below its branches, which rise erectly and close to the trunk, much as in the Lombardy Poplar." (http://www.2020site.org/trees/cypress.html)
But what tree stands out and lines the entire street? The flowering trees showing off their shade of pink. These are most likely the cherry tree variety know as Akebono (very popular in the Pacific northwest region)... so why not name the street Cherry?
I wonder if there are Oaks on Oak and I'm pretty sure I won't find Blenheim apricot trees on Blenheim. Maybe there be Pines on Pine.
I wonder if there are Oaks on Oak and I'm pretty sure I won't find Blenheim apricot trees on Blenheim. Maybe there be Pines on Pine.

No comments:
Post a Comment